1. 2016 marks the start of the next chapter of our Singapore Story. Having commemorated 50 years of independence last year, this year’s National Day Parade (NDP) calls on all Singaporeans to remain strong and work towards Singapore’s future as one people with the theme “Building Our Singapore of Tomorrow”.
2. Sharing the inspiration behind the theme, Chairman of the NDP 2016 Executive Committee (EXCO) Brigadier-General Kenneth Liow said, “NDP 2016 will be forward-looking, as we celebrate the first of the next 50 years of our Singapore Story. It is not just about ‘what’ we are celebrating, but ‘who’ and ‘why’. It is about all of us, individually and collectively, anchored on our values and love for Singapore, and building on the contributions and sacrifices of our pioneers, to shape our Singapore of tomorrow. NDP 2016 will create opportunities to involve Singaporeans in the national celebrations, so that our parade can truly be one by Singaporeans, with Singaporeans, for Singaporeans.”
3. Returning to the iconic National Stadium after ten years, NDP 2016 will allow 275,000 Singaporeans – double that of previous NDPs – to participate in the celebrations at the stadium “live”. There will also be a second Preview show for the public. Singaporeans are encouraged to contribute actively to NDP 2016 by providing suggestions via the official website and NDPeeps Facebook page. Over 200 Singaporeans have already submitted their ideas for the NDP 2016 logo, through a logo competition held from December 2015 to February 2016. Singaporeans will also be able to pen their well wishes for the nation and be part of a gigantic mosaic to mark our 51st birthday. The mosaic will be displayed in the vicinity of the National Stadium during the Preview shows and on August 9.
4. The National Stadium’s infrastructure and features will allow NDP 2016 to create a unique show for Singaporeans, while continuing to feature traditional crowd favourites such as the Parade and Ceremony, a military tattoo with a precision drill display and combined band and riders from the Singapore Armed Forces and the Home Team, as well as the Republic of Singapore Air Force’s State Flag Flypast and Salute to the Nation performed by five F-16D+ fighter aircraft. These will be complemented by new displays making their appearance at NDP for the first time – unmanned technologies, 3D projection displays, aerial displays involving props and performers, and indoor fireworks. Singaporeans will also be able to be part of the dynamic show through activities during the parade and with items provided in the funpacks.
5. NDP 2016 is organised by Headquarters Armour, supported by more than 150 public and private sector organisations and will involve almost 10,000 participants, volunteers and personnel working behind the scenes.
Source: www.defence.gov.sg News Release 9 Mar 2016